Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday Tidbit-Less or -ful



-less or -ful  

 

There are many words in the English language that end in the suffixes –less  or –ful. The root word Less means “not sufficient or lacking in” while full , is it’s opposite meaning ”complete or a lot of.” The list below contains root words that take on either less or ful. However, be careful! Not all root words can take on both suffixes (i.e. a team can be winless, but it can’t be winful). Here is a list of words that can use both suffixes, which basically have the opposite meaning.

-less
-ful
UselessUseful
MeaninglessMeaningful
FlavorlessFlavorful
MercilessMerciful
CarelessCareful
ColorlessColorful
HelplessHelpful
ThoughtlessThoughtful
PurposelessPurposeful
PainlessPainful


Check Yourself

Underline the correct word to complete the sentence.
1. I’m glad my boss worked with me a lot on the project because I had no clue. He was very (helpful / helpless).
2. Some people can handle getting a tattoo, but I can’t. I think it is too (painful / painless).
3. If you speak to me in a language I don’t understand, it is (meaningful / meaningless) to me.
4. This food has no spices or anything. It is completely (flavorful / flavorless).
5. My younger brother spends all his time playing video games. When it comes to helping around the house, he is (useful / useless).
6. The visiting team beat us 63-0 in football. They were completely (merciful / merciless).
7. I need you to be (careful / careless) when picking up the baby.
8. The scenic views in Costa Rica are very (colorful / colorless).
9. He has thought of every detail for the project. He works in a very (purposeful / purposeless) manner.
10. My co-workers gave me some flowers while I was in the hospital. They were extremely (thoughtless / thoughtful).

Answers to last week’s Check  Yourself

1. I received a phone call (during / for) my lunch hour.
2. He studied at Harvard (for / during) three years.
3. I have been awake (during / for) one hour.
4. I really enjoy ice skating (during / for) the winter.
5. She has been wearing glasses (during / for) at least 5 years.
6. The police intervened (for / during) the riots.
7. Class usually lasts (during / for) 3 hours.
8. I waited in line at the bank (during / for) a long time.
9. I don’t like it when people call me (during / for) dinner time.
10. He has a hard time seeing while driving (during / for) the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment