Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday's Tidbits - Irregular plural nouns

Irregular plural nouns 

Most plural forms of nouns in English take an or es. However, there are some nouns in English that change form differently than most plural nouns. Let’s take a look at a few:
Singular formIrregular plural form
ManMen
WomanWomen
FootFeet
ToothTeeth
PersonPeople
ChildChildren
MiceMouse
LifeLives
KnifeKnives
ThiefThieves

Check yourself

Complete the following sentences with either the singular or plural form of the noun that makes the most sense.
1. When I moved to my new apartment, I found a lot of _________________ in the basement.
2. Many people say that cats have nine _______________.
3. I cut my hand with a _______________ by accident.
4. Most people have 32 _________________ in their mouth.
5. The park was full of many ________________ playing games.
6. I was robbed by a _________________ while walking in downtown San Jose.
7. Most ________________ carry lipstick in their purses.
8. Both of my ______________ hurt after walking for 4 hours.
9. All of the _______________ in my family are bald.
10. I need to speak with a ______________ from the accounting department.

Answers to last week’s Check Yourself

1. People will stay at their job as long as they are paid decently.
2. I’m going to buy a car as soon as I have enough money.
3. Some things need to change as far as your attitude.
4. I will give you a call as soon as I finish lunch.
5. I think he can be trusted as far as lending money.
6. We plan to go to the beach as long as it doesn’t rain.
7. He will take you to the airport as long as you give him gas money.
8. The cat jumped onto the table as soon as he heard the thunder.
9. You can have dessert as soon as you eat all your vegetables.
10. I don’t think there will be any problems as far as the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment