Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday's Tidbits - As soon/far/long as...

As soon /far/long as…

The transition phrases in English as soon as, as far as, and as long as are very common in the English language. Understanding these transition phrases will help you to better connect your ideas. Let’s look at the difference between the three.

As soon as
As soon as can be used  to describe something that happens directly after another event. Here are some examples:
He called his mother as soon as he finished work.
She found a job as soon as she graduated.
I will help you fix your car as soon as I get out of class.

As far as
As far as is used similarly to the phrase with respect to. It is always followed by a noun or a noun phrase. Here are some examples:
He is very careful as far as his eating habits.
I didn’t understand him as far as his opinions on safety policies.
As long as
As long as is used to express conditions; meaning, one thing has to happen before another thing happens. They are generally used for promises. Here are some examples:
I will pick you up at the airport as long as I get my car back from the mechanic.
The boss will give us a vacation as long as we finish the project on time.

Check yourself


Complete the following sentences with the correct transition phrase (as soon as / as far as / as long as).

1. People will stay at their job ______________ they are paid decently.
2. I’m going to buy a car _________________ I have enough money.
3. Some things need to change ____________________ your attitude.
4. I will give you a call __________________ I finish lunch.
5. I think he can be trusted ________________ lending money.
6. We plan to go to the beach __________________ it doesn’t rain.
7. He will take you to the airport __________________ you give him gas money.
8. The cat jumped onto the table _________________ he heard the thunder.
9. You can have dessert _____________________ you eat all your vegetables.
10. I don’t think there will be any problems ________________ the weather.

Answers to last week’s Check Yourself.


1. He hates to (lost / lose) to anyone at anything.
2. Walmart is having a big (sale / sell) today.
3. My grandfather (dead / died) many years ago.
4. We need to (sale / sell) our car ASAP!
5. It looks like the fire is (dead / died).
6. The team suffered a humiliating (lost / loss).
7. Our pastor often talked about (dead / death) in church.
8. I asked him to (sold / sell) it at a lower price.
9. I got completely (lose / lost) in the forest.
10. It is difficult to lift because it is (dead / death) weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment